Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Why should you register to be an organ donor?

I have my reasons for registering as an organ donor, which I will share with you shortly, but I thought I would cross-post the "5 Reasons You Should Become An Organ Donor" from the University Hospital and Medical Center blog from 2011. 

From the UHMC blog post (linked above): 


"Here are five top reasons why you should register to become an organ donor on National Donor Day:
1. You can save a life. One organ donor can save up to eight lives, and statistics show that many people live long and healthy lives after receiving a transplant.
2. The demand is high. Over 100,000 people are waiting for an organ at any given time.
3. It’s free for you. There is no cost associated with becoming an organ donor. Your family will not be charged for the medical procedures involved.
4. Minority need is high. Certain blood types are more prevalent in ethnic minority populations such as African-Americans, Asians, Native Americans, and Hispanics. Matching blood type is necessary for organ transplants, so the need for minority organ donors is high.
5. Everyone is eligible. There are over 80 million Americans currently signed up to be organ donors, and age is not a factor. Parents can authorize organ donation for children under the age of 18 and organs have even been donated from donors in their 70s and 80s."
So why am I an organ donor? Meet my sister
She's the thankful recipient of two heart transplants and is almost 17 years old. 
She's been featured in a short documentary (see details on her blog, "Teenage Heart Transplant") that won an award in a local film festival. You can view the festival cut on YouTube. I haven't figured out how to embed videos yet, once I figure it out, I will update my post. 
View the documentary, "Shelby Cooper: Three of Hearts" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPWnFkb98_M. She's awesome.
If you end up reading her blog (I love it and subscribe, but I'm family, ergo biased), or view the documentary, you'll notice she mentions the ukulele...I am 95% sure I am responsible for the Amazon.com gift card that led to that purchase. 
Sign up to be an organ donor! You have no idea how many lives you'll potentially impact. 

1 comment:

  1. Sister! Thanks for sharing the video :) I love you guys <3

    ReplyDelete