Monday, November 25, 2013

Telepests and National Safety Council Infographics

I learned a new term today: telepest.

Since launching my new website for Spore Consulting, I have been receiving all sorts of fun calls to the number I listed on my WHOIS domain registration, which is to be expected. Each time I receive one of these calls, I look the phone number up on the internet to make sure it is not a potential client.

The number I received a call from today had a bunch of listings and complaints as a "telepest." Apparently a telepest is informally known as an annoying phone number that calls you frequently (i.e. robot telemarketers and unsolicited/spam calls).

Who knew? There's a word for everything. :)

Have also been catching up on my reading and wanted to share the following National Safety Council (NSC) infographic on the "Top 10 Most Frequently Cited OSHA Violations." Download your own copy off the NSC Blog. There was supposed to be a way to embed the infographic on my blog, but I am not enough of a Blogger ninja to figure that out.

NSC Infographic about the Top 10 Most Frequently Cited OSHA Violations.
In order of least to most citations (per NSC):

10 - Machine Guarding
9 - Electrical: General Requirements
8 - Lockout Tagout
7 - Ladders
6 - Powered Industrial Trucks
5 - Electrical: Wiring Methods
4 - Respiratory Protection
3 - Scaffolding
2 - Hazard Communication
1 - Fall Protection

In other news, my research into coal mining in Lancashire in the 1890's has been super-enjoyable. The character development and storyline mapping for my alternative history/steampunk series fiction that incorporates the history of industrial hygiene and workplace safety is underway.

While preparing for my first OSHA 30-hour for General Industry course, I also discovered the CDC Small Business Resource Guide. This CDC website has documents from Federal OSHA, state OSH programs, and international resources (Ireland and UK) to help small businesses develop an effective safety and health program.

No comments:

Post a Comment